Otto Licks, founder and partner at Licks Attorneys, has over 20 years’ experience. He has established a solid reputation as a trial and appellate litigation expert, advising pharma, biotech, telecommunications, electronics, medical devices and information technology clients, among others, in areas such as intellectual property, regulatory and food and drug. Otto works with clients to resolve matters involving international patent and trade secret issues, unfair competition, regulatory compliance, misleading advertising, data package exclusivity, patent prosecution and qui tam actions. He has an extensive international client roster and considerable experience when it comes to the enforcement of the law, dealing with the Brazilian government, regulatory agencies and private adjudication of rights. Otto is an accomplished speaker in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America, and has published extensively in his areas of expertise.
- Trademark, Trade Dress & Publicity Rights Matters
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Data Protection
- Licensing & Technology Transfer
- Internet, E-commerce & Software
- Food & Drug Law
- The Analise Advocacia 500 recognized Otto Licks as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, 2017.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘LEADING’ in Patent Litigation.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘HIGHLY RECOMMENDED’ in Life Sciences.
- Ranked as an Expert in Patent Litigation by Who’s Who Legal 2017 Life Sciences.
- Ranked in the 2017 edition of Chambers and Partners Latin America guide as one of the best individual lawyers in the IP and Life Sciences areas in Brazil, being “highly capable of handling technical matters” and “a reference in Brazil”.
- Recognized as an IP Leader by WIPR Leaders 2017 in the Chemical, Domain, Domain Names, Life sciences, Names, Patent, Pharmaceutical, Technology and Trademark areas.
- Recognized as One of the Most Admired Attorneys at Law in Brazil by Analise Advocacia 500 2016.
- Ranked as a Most Highly Regarded Individual in Patents and Life Sciences by Who’s Who Legal 2016.
- IAM Patent 1000 2016 ranked Otto Licks as a Leading Expert.
- The 2016 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘EXCELENTE’ in IP Litigation.
- The 2016 edition of Chambers Latin America recognized Otto Licks as a ‘Leading Individual’ highly specialized in the areas of life sciences and Intellectual Property.
- Análise Advocacia 500 acknowledged Otto Licks as one of the most admired Intellectual Property and Pharmaceutical Industry attorneys in Brazil.
- Chambers & Partner describes him as “commended by sources for his knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry”, in its 2015 edition.
- IAM Patent 1000 2015 recognizes him as “an immensely tough competitor. In huge cases, he knows how to give the opposing party a really hard time and is always prepared for battle”.
- Who’s Who Legal Patents and Life Sciences 2014 magazines declared him “a genius at litigation and truly knowledgeable” specifically within the fields of international patents, life sciences and complex litigation”.
- Pointed, by Análise Advocacia 500 magazine, as the most admired attorney within the intellectual property area, in Brazil (Out/2011).
- Which Lawyer magazine described him as a highly recommended attorney within the intellectual property of life sciences area. (2009 & 2008).
- PLC Life Sciences magazine recognized Otto as one of the Brazilian highly recommended attorney for his practice specialization within life sciences. (2006-2012).
- PLC Intellectual Property magazine identified Otto as a highly recommended attorney within the intellectual property practice area. (2008-2012).
- Fellow, Chizaiken – Institute of Intellectual Property (1997).
- Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D) program, George Washington University Law School (1996).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School (1994).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) International Law, George Washington University Law School (1993).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (1993).