Attorney at Law
Ana Amélia Araripe Montenegro is an attorney at law and holds the position of Head of Trademark Prosecution at Licks Attorneys since 2015. Ms. Montenegro specializes in strategic management of trademark and design portfolios for national and international clients in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, automobile, food and retail market segments, providing services from clearance to enforcement.
She also coordinates international portfolios (“Hub services”), handles customs enforcement matters, extrajudicial cases related to trademark infringement and due diligence related to IP assets in the context of M&A operations.
Ana has several years of experience in negotiating, drafting and registering agreements involving IP assets, technology transfer and franchises, acquired in top-ranked full practice law firms in Brazil. Selected by World Trademark Review (WTR) 2017 and The Legal 500 Latin America 2017 as a recommended expert.
• Individually recognized in the Trademark Practice in Brazil, World Trademark Review 2018.
• Recommended in the IP Practice by Legal 500 Latin America 2017.
• Selected as a Recommended Expert in 2017 by World Trademark Review.
• WTR 1000 labels Ms. Montenegro as “an up and coming lawyer” who is “always ready to solve problems that others struggle with”. “She will never give you a wrong answer and working with her is very easy.”
Author or co-author of the following recent publications, amongst others:
• “Innovation and Intellectual Property for the National Pharmaceutical Sector”. Published in the Brazilian Business Magazine – Edition 284 – Jan/Fev 2014.
• “Regulation of Internet in Brazil and the Development of New Technologies.” Presented at the Seminar Public Policies, Fundamental Rights and Development held at Universidade Cândido Mendes on 19 and 20 September 2012.
• “The Importance of strengthening brands in the sector of maritime services.” Published in Guia Marítimo Magazine nº 476 on March 2012.
• “The Role of ANVISA” – on prior approval of pharmaceutical patents”. Published in O Globo newspaper on July 2, 2011.
Member of national and international associations such as:
Masters in Intellectual Property and Innovation at the National Academy of the Brazilian Patent and Trademark’s Office – INPI-BR (2014 – on going).
Mediation and Arbitration in Intellectual Property at the Brazilian Institute of Mediation and Arbitration – IMAB (2013).
ADR Workshop provided by INPI-BR and WIPO (2012).
Business Law course at Ibmec Rio de Janeiro (2011).
Specialization in Trademarks at the Brazilian Association of Industrial Property Agents – ABAPI (2010).
Specialization in Civil Procedure Litigation – Course taught by Appellate Judge Alexandre Camara (2010).
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), – Rio de Janeiro’s Federal University – UFRJ (2009).