Science & Patent Specialist
Chemical Engineer Antonio Luiz Ribeiro de Castro Morschbacker joined Licks Attorneys’ Rio de Janeiro office as a Patent Specialist in 2016. His career spans over 30 years of experience as a leader of technology development projects in the Chemical Industry and as an internal consultant in large-scale chemical/petrochemical companies. In addition, he was responsible for the prosecution, structuring and definitions of Industrial Property strategies, management of patent portfolios, negotiation and interface with patent offices in Brazil, Europe and USA and in Technology Transfer Contracts. Moreover, he has experience in the coordination of regulatory affairs for polymers and additives in contact with food and medicines.
Mr. Morschbacker is an inventor and co-inventor of 22 patent applications in different technologies, including catalysts, fine chemicals products, high performance polymers, chlorinated products, polymerization processes, bio-based monomers and polymers from renewable feedstocks and genetically modified microorganisms to produce chemical products.
He holds experience in the fields of ethanol manufacture from sugarcane, fermentation processes, catalyst synthesis and catalytic processes, fine chemicals, chlor-alkali technology, SBR technology, polyolefins and their manufacture processes, PVC, biotechnology and renewables products from bio-based feedstocks. He has expertise in project evaluation, strategic investment analysis, project, assembling and management of R&D laboratories, conceptual and basic engineering of pilot and industrial plants, scale-up of processes from laboratory until industrial scale, Life Cycle Assessment of Chemicals, conceptual and basic engineering of pilot and industrial plants and business development of new products.
• Licensing & Technology Transfer
• Represented a major Brazilian Company in a patent litigation against a technology company. The case has been settled;
• Led the opposition process by a major Brazilian Company against a patent application of Green Chemistry in Europe and Japan. The grant of the patent was denied by both Patent Offices.
- Honor Award of the Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award, 2013;
- FINEP Innovation Award for Sustainable Innovation in Polyethylene from sugarcane, 2012;
- FINEP Innovation Award for Big Company, 2011;
- Environmental Award from the Society of Plastics Engineers, 2009;
- Honorable Mention of the ICIS Innovation Award in the category “Best Product Innovation”, 2008;
- “Best Innovation in Bioplastics” Award, 2007;
- Funding for Studies and Projects (FINEP) Innovation Award for PVC Process, 2001.
• Member of the Brazilian Association of Intellectual Property Agents (ABAPI);
• Member and Former Director of Industrial Property of the Brazilian Association of Chemical Engineering (ABEQ).
• MSc in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)’s Alberto Luiz Coimbra Institute of Engineering Postgraduate Studies and Research (COPPE), 1984;
• Graduation in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), 1980.
• Author or coauthor of many technical publications on Green Chemistry, with several participations as invited speaker in conferences in Brazil, Europe, United States and Asia.