Carlos Aboim has nearly 20 years’ experience as a trial and appellate litigator before state and federal courts. Since 2002, his practice has been focusing on complex disputes and leading cases in intellectual property, unfair competition, competition law and regulatory compliance – mainly in the areas of life sciences and information technology. With substantial first- chair trial and appellate experience (in lawsuits relating to pharmaceutical, medical device, computer system, telecommunications, and so on) he also advises multinational clients in international IP disputes.
Having received an LL.M in Intellectual Property Law from The George Washington University, he worked as a fulltime intern for the Honorable Chief Judge Randall Rader, Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, from June 2010 to October 2010. Aboim is also a frequent speaker at events related to his areas of expertise and a member of the Special Commission on Federal Judiciary Matters of the Rio de Janeiro State Chapter of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB-RJ).
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Data Protection
- Food & Drug Law
- Unfair Competition
- Complex litigation & ADR
- Ranked as a Patent Industry Leader in IAM Patent 1000, 2017.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Carlos Aboim as ‘LEADING’ in Technology & Digital Services.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Carlos Aboim as ‘LEADING’ in Patent Litigation.
- The 2016 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Carlos Aboim as ‘EXCELENTE’ in IP Litigation and ‘HIGHLY RECOMMENDED’ in Technology & Digital Services;
- Speaker at the LESI 2013 Annual Conference Rio de Janeiro, “Arbitration and IP in Brazil” on the workshop “Successful Dispute Resolution in BRICS and NIC States”, 2013;
- Speaker on the panel “Expert Examination on Patents and Industrial Designs” before IAB – Institute of Brazilian Attorneys, 2013;
- Speaker at the II ILA Conference in Brazil, on “Interface between, International Private Law, IP and Digital Networks”, 2012;
- Licensing Executives Society (LES);
- Brazilian Intellectual Property Association (ABPI);
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB-RJ);
- International Law Association (ILA).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School (2010);
- Rio de Janeiro State University, Post-graduate course on Public Law (2004);
- Post-graduate course on Civil Procedure (2002), Getúlio Vargas Foundation;
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (2000).