Eduardo Hallak is a partner at Licks Attorneys. For nearly a decade, he has been working as a litigator before state and federal courts in Brazil, in several complex disputes and leading cases involving regulatory compliance, unfair competition and patents, most of them pursuing the interests of clients in the area of life sciences. He also has extensive practice in trademark litigation as well as technology transfer contracts, working together with multinational clients to establish strong brand protection and licensing programs in the country.
Hallak currently teaches IP litigation in the Post-Graduation course at the prestigious Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ) and is enrolled in the Masters of Law on Civil Procedure at Rio de Janeiro State University (UERJ). He constantly lectures on procedural and strategic aspects of IP litigation and is a member of the Special Commission on Mediation of the Rio de Janeiro Chapter of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB-RJ) and the Enforcement Committee of INTA.
• Recognized as an IP Leader by WIPR Leaders 2017 in the Life Sciences, Media, Patent and Technology areas.
• Eduardo Hallak was recognized by the World Trademark Review 2015,2016 and 2017 as a leading Trademark professional.
• WTR 1000 praises Eduardo Hallak’s skills on brand protection and licensing matters. His performance is described as “lends the patent group additional firepower in the life sciences space”.(2016) “highly efficient”, providing “extremely well-founded advice”(2017)
• Professor on the Post-Graduation Course in Intellectual Property at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ) (2014-).
• Professor on the Advanced Course on Civil Procedure in Intellectual Property, at the Associação Brasileira dos Agentes da Propriedade Industrial – ABAPI (2011).
• Speaker at the Brazilian Bar Institute (IAB), on the panel “Civil Procedure Topics regarding IP Litigation”, on December 3rd, 2013.
• Speaker at the V ABAPISUL Meeting, on the panel “The Enforcement of Industrial Design Rights before Courts”, on March 21st, 2010.
• Speaker at the FDLI US & Brazil Conference, on the panel “Medical Products: IP Issues”, on September 11th, 2011.
• Speaker at the V Congress of the State of Mato Grosso about Intellectual Property and Innovation, on the panel “Applicable Venues on IP Litigation”, on May 28th, 2009.
Author or co-author of the following publications, amongst others:
• Author of the chapter “Impedimentos, Impossibilidades e Penalidades referentes ao Mediador”, concerning the rules and penalties applied to Mediators in Brazil, in the book entitled “A Mediação no Novo Código Civil Brasileiro”, (The Mediation Process in the Brazilian New Civil Code).
• Co-author of “Brazilian Courts: ANVISA Must Apply Federal Law or Face Bad Faith Litigation”, publiched by Editora Forense, 2015, pages 169-177.
• Author of “Ambush Marketing and Sport Events”, article published in Visão Jurídica n. 78 January 2013.
• Author of “Data Package Protection in Brazil”, article published in World Intellectual Property Review November/December 2011.
• Author of “Medicine Packaging and Copyrights”, article published in World Intellectual Property Review January/February 2010.
Member of national and international associations such as:
- Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, currently enrolled as a Masters candidate in Civil Procedure Law (2011).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (2005)