Science & Patent Specialist
Ms. Elvira Andrade joined Licks Attorneys as a technology specialist in 2013 and has over 30 years’ experience in intellectual property. She worked for the BRPTO, where she occupied several high profile positions relating to patent examination, such as Head of the Division of Computer Program Registration and Acting General Coordinator of Other Registrations, which included patentability of computer programs. Ms. Andrade also acted as a specialist for the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and worked in appeals, administrative and judicial nullity proceedings.
As a speaker, Ms. Andrade has lectured at seminars and participated in the workgroup that established standards for computer programs’ patentability examination. In addition, as Head of Division at the BRPTO, she led important projects, aiming for the area backlog decrease by enhancing and automating application methods.
• Geographical Indications
• Computer Programs
• Topographies of Integrated Circuits
• Acting Head of Patent Division of Physics, Electronics, and Electricity of the National Institute of Industrial Property (DIRPA) – December, 1999-October, 2005;
• Head of the Division of Computer Program Registration of the BRPTO – September 2005-July, 2011;
• Acting General Coordinator of Other Registrations of the BRPTO – May, 2008-November, 2010;
• Acting Head of Patent Division of Physics, Electronics, and Electricity, National Institute of Industrial Property (DIRPA) – December, 1999-October, 2005;
• Visiting Scholar at United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in patent, copyrights and geographic indications areas;
• Co-author of article “Patentability criteria on business methods”, ABPI Magazine #62, Jan-Feb, 2003;
• Co-author of the article “Intellectual Property in Software: what can we learn from international experience?”, Brazilian Magazine of Innovation 2009;
• Speaker in the International Seminar on the Promotion of Innovation and Intellectual Property in Information Technology, promoted by OMPI, BPTO, TECPAR and BNDES;
• Author of the part related to the registration of computer program of the course DL101/Br (WIPO).
• Graduate Specialization in Intellectual Property Law, Pontifical Catholic University (PUC/RJ), 2005;
• Graduate Specialization in Telecomputing, Estácio de Sá University, 1986;
• Specialist in Industrial Property, World Industrial Property Organization (WIPO) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), 1980;
• BSc in Electronic Engineering – Telecommunications, Pontifical Catholic University (PUC/RJ), 1979.