Attorney at Law
Hugo Reis is an associate at Licks Attorneys since 2014. He started his
collaboration in 2012 as a judicial intern. Prior to joining the firm, Hugo
has also gained experience as an intern at a prominent Brazilian law
firm, practicing contentious and non-contentious aspects of intellectual
property relating to patents.
Hugo’s practice primarily focuses on intellectual property matters,
including unfair competition, anti-counterfeiting, telecommunications and
other complex litigation. During law school, Hugo served as an assisting
tutor after winning the Private International Law Tutors Competition,
promoted by Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro – UFRJ.
His experience includes an exchange program at Université Paris Ouest –
Nanterre La Défense (“Paris X”).
He also gained experience acting as a Foreign Legal Consultant in the
Washington, D.C. office of Steptoe & Johnson LLP for a year.
- Intellectual Property
- Food & Drug
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Unfair Competition
- Regulatory Law
- Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Cyber Law
- Data Protection
- Internet Privacy Law
- E-commerce & Software
- Represented a major Chinese telecommunication infrastructure manufacturer in the defense against multiple patent infringement accusations, resulting in wins in criminal and civil procedures filed against the company and in the patent invalidly counter-attack filed on behalf of the client, which resulted in the invalidation of four patents.
- Represented a top US-based e-hailing startup in Brazil, in nationwide litigation efforts including multiple defensive and offensive litigation strategies covering internet and transportation regulatory laws and criminal issues, securing its services in one of the highest profile legal Brazilian cases in 2015-2016.
First-place in the 2014 Private International Law Tutors Competition promoted by the Law School
of Rio de Janeiro Federal University – UFRJ, becoming an assisting tutor to Professor Marcos
Presentation: “A experiência da MINUSTAH e suas reflexões na pretensão brasileira a uma vaga
permanente no CSNU”, in 2011 at the II Human’s Rights International Summit (II Colóquio
Internacional de Direitos Humanos), promoted by FND/UFRJ)
• Brazilian Bar Association (OAB – RJ).
- LL.M., Intellectual Property, The George Washington University Law School (2017).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (2014).
- Academic Exchange at Université Paris Ouest – Nanterre La Défense (“Paris X” – 2012).