Science & Patent Specialist
Luiza Cotia is a patent specialist and an industrial pharmacist with more than a decade of experience in patent prosecution in the pharma, biotech & agro fields. Pharmaceutical and agricultural patents are among her areas of expertise, but she also handles biotech and fine chemical patents. In addition, she participates in the drafting and prosecuting of patent applications according to the Brazilian Industrial Property Statute (Law #9,279/96) and the guidelines dictated by the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office (INPI).
As an acting member of Licks Attorneys’ staff, Cotia analyzes Brazilian PTO’s written opinions as well as third party submissions – including their replies. She also carries out electronic and manual searches in general (equivalence, infringement, prior-art and so on) and freedom-to-operate analysis. Moreover, she works in the technical part of the lawsuits involving chemical patents and patent applications and has been nominated technical assistant in some cases.
Author or co-author of the following publications, amongst others:
- “New draft guidelines for patent examination”, PREVAIL 005 | June, 2015
- “Post-grant review in Brazil: how statistics can help choosing the winning strategy”, PREVAIL 002 | March, 2015
- “The patent backlog for agrichemical inventions”, WORLD IP REVIEW – WIPR, 2014
Member of national and international associations such as:
- Degree in Pharmacy, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro.
- Specialized in Industrial Pharmacy, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro.
- Specialized in Intellectual Property Law, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro.