Science & Patent Specialist
Professor Otavio Beaklini is a Patent Expert at the Rio de Janeiro office of Licks Attorneys. Prof. Beaklini teaches a course on Intellectual Property at UFF, one of the largest Federal Public Universities in the state of Rio de Janeiro, where he has lectured since 1983.
Prof. Beaklini has been at the forefront of the Brazilian Intellectual Property field for over 30 years and has built an impressive career at the BRPTO.
During his tenure at the BRPTO, Prof. Beaklini served as Acting President, Commissioner of Patents and Head of the Civil Engineering Art Group. He has also served as a special assistant to other Presidents. He is renowned for his patent prosecution skills and expertise.
Prof. Beaklini was a member of several Brazilian delegations to the WIPO. He was an active member of the working group responsible for the regulation and examining guidelines for the current Brazilian Patent Statute (Law 9,279/96).
In addition, he is a certified specialist in Intellectual Property from the WIPO and the United Nations Development Programme (PNUD).
Prof. Beaklini is a feature speaker and author in the patent field in Brazil.
• Deputy CEO of the Brazilian Patent Office – BRPTO
• Commissioner of Patents – BRPTO
• Chief of the Civil Engineering Section – BRPTO
• Senior Patent Examiner – BRPTO
• Member of the group responsible for the regulation of the current Brazilian Patent Statute Law 9.279/96
• Member of several Brazilian delegations before the WIPO.
• Adjunct Professor of the Civil Engineering Department at Universidade Federal Fluminense – UFF
• Lecturer of Intellectual Property Law in several renowned Brazilian institutions, such as, Fundação Getulio Vargas – FGV, The National Judicial College in Rio de Janeiro – EMARF, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro – PUC-RJ
Author of the following article amongst others:
• “Patentes, abrangência da proteção e interpretação de reivindicações”. (Patents, protection broadness and claims interpretation), Panorama da Tecnologia. Ed. Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Industrial. Nr. 14 (1998), a reference book for patent applicants in Brazil.
Member of national and international associations such as:
• Visiting Scholar at the George Washington University Law School, focusing on Intellectual Property matters (1998).
• Research Fellow of the JICA – Japan International Cooperation Agency, in Tokyo – Japan (1988).
• M.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Universidade Federal Fluminense – UFF (1988).
• B.S. in Civil Engineering from Universidade Federal Fluminense – UFF (1977).
• Specialist in Intellectual Property, WIPO and the United Nations Development Programme – PNUD (1978).