Otto Licks, founder and partner at Licks Attorneys, has over 20 years’ experience. Acting both as an attorney and law professor, he has established a solid reputation as a trial and litigation specialist, advising clients in areas such as intellectual property and life sciences in cases involving industries related to telecommunications, medical devices and information technology – among many others.
Regularly working with clients to resolve matters involving data package exclusivity, regulatory compliance, international patent issues, unfair competition, misleading advertising and qui tam actions, Otto Licks has an international client roster and considerable experience when it comes to the correct interpretation and enforcement of the law, dealing with regulatory agencies and protecting clients’ rights at all levels. He is an accomplished speaker in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America, and has published extensively in his areas of expertise.
- Recognized as an IP Leader by WIPR Leaders 2017 in the Chemical, Domain, Domain Names, Life Sciences, Names, Patent, Pharmaceutical, Technology and Trademark areas.
- Ranked in the 2017 edition of Chambers and Partners Latin America guide as one of the best individual lawyers in the IP and Life Sciences areas in Brazil, being “highly capable of handling technical matters” and “a reference in Brazil”.
- Recognized as One of the Most Admired Attorneys at Law in Brazil by Analise Advocacia 500 2016.
- Ranked as a Most Highly Regarded Individual in Patents and Life Sciences by Who´s Who Legal 2016.
- IAM Patent 1000 2016 ranked Otto Licks as a Leading Expert.
- The 2016 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘EXCELENTE’ in IP Litigation.
- The 2016 edition of Chambers Latin America recognized Otto Licks as a ‘Leading Individual´ highly specialized in the areas of life sciences and Intellectual Property.
- Análise Advocacia 500 acknowledged Otto Licks as one of the most admired Intellectual Property and Pharmaceutical Industry attorneys in Brazil.
- Chambers & Partner describes him as “commended by sources for his knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry”, in its 2015 edition.
- IAM Patent 1000 2015 recognizes him as “an immensely tough competitor. In huge cases, he knows how to give the opposing party a really hard time and is always prepared for battle”.
- Who’s Who Legal Patents and Life Sciences 2014 magazines declared him “a genius at litigation and truly knowledgeable” specifically within the fields of international patents, life sciences and complex litigation”.
- Pointed, by Análise Advocacia 500 magazine, as the most admired attorney within the intellectual property area, in Brazil (2011).
- PLC Life Sciences magazine recognized Otto as one of the Brazilian highly recommended attorney for his practice specialization within life sciences. (2006-2012).
- PLC Intellectual Property magazine identified Otto as a highly recommended attorney wit hin the intellectual property practice area. (2008-2012).
- Which Lawyer magazine described him as a highly recommended attorney within the intellectual property of life sciences area. (2009 & 2008).
AASP (Associação dos Advogados de São Paulo)
ABPI (Assoc. Bras. da Propriedade Intelectual)
ABAPI (Associação Brasileira dos Agentes da Propriedade Industrial.)
AIPLA (American Intellectual Property Law Association)
AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Proprieté Intellectuelle)
CESA – Centro de Estudos das Sociedades de Advogados
FDLI (Food and Drug Law Institute)
IBA (International Bar Association)
INTA (International Trademark Association)
IPO (Intellectual Property Owners Association)
LES (Licensing Executives Society)
- Fellow, Chizaiken – Institute of Intellectual Property (1997).
- Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D) program, George Washington University Law School (1996).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School (1994).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) International Law, George Washington University Law School (1993).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (1993).