Government Affairs & International Relations
Otto Licks is a partner at Licks Attorneys, a Brazilian law firm with over 200 people among its offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Brasília, and Tokyo. Otto is an expert on complex litigation and policy making, with over 23 years of experience representing international clients in life sciences (small molecules, biologicals, agrochemicals and medical devices), telecom, electronics and internet. He has established a reputation as a trial and appellate practice specialist, focusing on preliminary and permanent injunctions and monetization (damages and licensing), advising clients primarily on patent, trade secrets, unfair competition and regulatory data exclusivity, government procurement, food and drug and regulatory of telecom and internet. He was the first chair in over 100 cases, from TROs and ex-parte injunctions up to leading cases before the Brazilian Supreme Court. Otto has been recognized by some of the most important international rankings. He is an accomplished speaker in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America, and has published extensively in his areas of expertise.
- Trademark, Trade Dress & Publicity Rights Matters
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Data Protection
- Licensing & Technology Transfer
- Internet, E-commerce & Software
- Food & Drug Law
- Chambers Latin America- ‘recommended’ IP & Life Sciences, Brazil “(…) one of the great names in our market”, “a very combative litigator” and “a leading lawyer for both patent and regulatory issues” (2019);
- Chambers Global- ‘recommended’ “great litigator” IP, Brazil (2019)
- IAM Patent 1000- ‘Leading Expert’ (2019, 2018, 2017, 2016);
- LACCA Approved -‘leading private practitioner’ (2019);
- Leaders League- ‘LEADING’ Patent Litigation, Technology and Life Sciences, ‘EXCELLENT’ Trademark Litigation, ‘RECOMMENDED’ Civil and Commercial Litigation (2019);
- The Legal 500 Latin America – ‘Recommended’ IP Practice (2018, 2017);
- Leaders League – ‘LEADING’ Patent Litigation, Technology & Life Sciences, ‘EXCELLENT’ Trademark Litigation, ‘RECOMMENDED’ in Civil & Commercial Litigation (2018);
- Benchmark Litigation- ‘Recommended’ Appellate & Intellectual Property (2018);
- WIPR Leaders- ‘IP Leader’ IP (2018, 2017);
- Chambers Latin America- ‘best individual lawyers’ IP & Life Sciences Brazil (2018, 2017);
- Análise Advocacia 500- ‘most admired’, Brazil (2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2011);
- Leaders League- ‘LEADING’ Patent Litigation ‘HIGHLY RECOMMENDED’ Life Sciences (2017);
- Who’s Who Legal- ‘Expert’ Patent Litigation Life Sciences (2017);
- Chambers Latin America- ‘best individual lawyers’ IP & Life Sciences Brazil, “highly capable of handling technical matters” and “a reference in Brazil” (2017);
- Who’s Who Legal- ‘Most Highly Regarded’ Patents & Life Sciences (2016, 2015);
- Leaders League- ‘EXCELLENT’ IP Litigation (2016);
- Chambers & Partner- “commended by sources for his knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry” (2015);
- IAM Patent 1000- “an immensely tough competitor. In huge cases, he knows how to give the opposing party a really hard time and is always prepared for battle” (2015);
- Who’s Who Legal Patents- “a genius at litigation and truly knowledgeable” specifically within the fields of international patents, life sciences and complex litigation” Patents & Life Sciences (2014)
- PLC Life Sciences- ‘highly recommended’ Life Sciences (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006);
- PLC Intellectual – ‘highly recommended’ IP (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008);
- Which Lawyer- ‘highly recommended’ IP attorney, Life sciences (2009, 2008).
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association – Rio de Janeiro and Distrito Federal.
- Member of national and international associations such as ABPI, ABAPI, AIPLA, AIPPI, BIO, IBA, IPO, etc.
- ITechLaw (International Technology Law Association)
- Fellow, Chizaiken – Institute of Intellectual Property (1997).
- Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D) program, George Washington University Law School (1996).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School (1994).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) International Law, George Washington University Law School (1993).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (1993).