Government Affairs & International Relations
Otto Licks is a partner at Licks Attorneys, a Brazilian law firm with over 150 people among its offices in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Brasília (2018), Tokyo and Silicon Valley (2019). Otto is an expert on complex litigation and policy making, with over 23 years of experience representing international clients in life sciences (small molecules, biologicals, agrochemicals and medical devices), telecom, electronics and internet. He has established a reputation as a trial and appellate practice specialist, focusing on preliminary and permanent injunctions and monetization (damages and licensing), advising clients primarily on patent, trade secrets, unfair competition and regulatory data exclusivity, government procurement, food and drug and regulatory of telecom and internet. He was the first chair in over 100 cases, from TROs and ex-parte injunctions up to leading cases before the Brazilian Supreme Court. Otto has been recognized by some of the most important international rankings. He is an accomplished speaker in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America, and has published extensively in his areas of expertise.
- Trademark, Trade Dress & Publicity Rights Matters
- Trade Secrets & Regulatory
- Data Protection
- Licensing & Technology Transfer
- Internet, E-commerce & Software
- Food & Drug Law
- Earned a ranking of one of the best individual lawyers in the IP & Life Sciences practice in Brazil, Chambers Latin America 2018 edition.
- The Analise Advocacia 500 recognized Otto Licks as one of the most admired lawyers in Brazil, 2017.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘LEADING’ in Patent Litigation.
- The 2017 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘HIGHLY RECOMMENDED’ in Life Sciences.
- Ranked as an Expert in Patent Litigation by Who’s Who Legal 2017 Life Sciences.
- Ranked in the 2017 edition of Chambers and Partners Latin America guide as one of the best individual lawyers in the IP and Life Sciences areas in Brazil, being “highly capable of handling technical matters” and “a reference in Brazil”.
- Recognized as an IP Leader by WIPR Leaders 2017 in the Chemical, Domain, Domain Names, Life sciences, Names, Patent, Pharmaceutical, Technology and Trademark areas.
- Recognized as One of the Most Admired Attorneys at Law in Brazil by Analise Advocacia 500 2016.
- Ranked as a Most Highly Regarded Individual in Patents and Life Sciences by Who’s Who Legal 2016.
- IAM Patent 1000 2016 ranked Otto Licks as a Leading Expert.
- The 2016 edition of Leaders League guide recognized Otto Licks as ‘EXCELENTE’ in IP Litigation.
- The 2016 edition of Chambers Latin America recognized Otto Licks as a ‘Leading Individual’ highly specialized in the areas of life sciences and Intellectual Property.
- Análise Advocacia 500 acknowledged Otto Licks as one of the most admired Intellectual Property and Pharmaceutical Industry attorneys in Brazil.
- Chambers & Partner describes him as “commended by sources for his knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry”, in its 2015 edition.
- IAM Patent 1000 2015 recognizes him as “an immensely tough competitor. In huge cases, he knows how to give the opposing party a really hard time and is always prepared for battle”.
- Who’s Who Legal Patents and Life Sciences 2014 magazines declared him “a genius at litigation and truly knowledgeable” specifically within the fields of international patents, life sciences and complex litigation”.
- Pointed, by Análise Advocacia 500 magazine, as the most admired attorney within the intellectual property area, in Brazil (Out/2011).
- Which Lawyer magazine described him as a highly recommended attorney within the intellectual property of life sciences area. (2009 & 2008).
- PLC Life Sciences magazine recognized Otto as one of the Brazilian highly recommended attorney for his practice specialization within life sciences. (2006-2012).
- PLC Intellectual Property magazine identified Otto as a highly recommended attorney within the intellectual property practice area. (2008-2012).
- Admitted to the Brazilian Bar Association – Rio de Janeiro and Distrito Federal.
- Member of national and international associations such as ABPI, ABAPI, AIPLA, AIPPI, BIO,FCBA, IBA, LES, NJIPLA, NYSBA
- ITechLaw (International Technology Law Association)
- Fellow, Chizaiken – Institute of Intellectual Property (1997).
- Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D) program, George Washington University Law School (1996).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) Intellectual Property, George Washington University Law School (1994).
- Master of Laws (LL.M) International Law, George Washington University Law School (1993).
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (1993).