Attorney at Law
Roberto Carapeto is an Attorney at law at the Tokyo office of Licks Attorneys.
Roberto Carapeto has a long experience working both as an attorney and a researcher, dealing with intellectual property matters in full service law firms and IP boutiques. His expertise comprises a wide range of legal matters, including patent litigation, anti-counterfeiting measures and unfair competition. Furthermore, he deals with technology transfer, IP rights prosecution and licensing matters for international companies.
Experienced in advising Asian companies, Roberto has received a MA in Law from Waseda University and has also worked at Matsubara, Muraki & Associates, P.C. (2008). Roberto Carapeto has also gained experience as a visiting researcher at NGB Corporation. He is currently a Research Collaborator at Waseda University’s Research Center for the Legal Systems of Intellectual Property [RCLIP].
Mr. Carapeto frequently provides lectures and seminars around Asia about Brazilian and South American Intellectual Property Laws. Fluent in Japanese, he also runs a website in this language providing information on IP in South America at http://brazilchizai.wordpress.com/.
• Member on a Research Commision of the JPO for an investigation on the state of protection in Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Russia and India, on November and December, 2014.
• Lecturer at the 2014 Patent Information Fair & Conference, on “Brazilian Patent Law: Important features and talking points from practice”, on November 6th, 2014.
• Lecturer at the Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA) Software Patent Group Seminar, on “Software Patents in Brazil”, on February 5th, 2014.
• Professor on the “Introductory Workshop on South American Intellectual Property”, at the Institute of Intellectual Property between August 2013 and March 2014.
• Lecturer at the Japan Intellectual Property Association (JIPA) 4th Congress of Kanto’s Electric Engineering Group, on “The current situation of the Brazilian Patent Law and what to expect”, on December 5th, 2013.
• Lecturer at the Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA) Kinki Branch, on a workshop on Brazilian Patent Law, on August 27th, 2013.
• Lecturer at the Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA) Kantou Branch Seminar, “Intellectual Property System and Emerging Countries: Latin America Major Powers (Brazil-Mexico)”, on March 15th, 2013.
• Lecturer at Waseda University, “Trends on Brazil Trademark Law, Copyright Law”, on September 20th, 2012.
• Lecturer on NGB IP Research Institute’s Asia & Brics Intellectual Property Rights Seminar, “Talking topics on Brazilian IP in 2012”, on June 5th, 2012.
• Professor on the lecture on “Introduction to Brazilian Intellectual Property Law”, at the E-Learning System (Continuous Education) of the Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA), 2011.
• Speaker at the 2010 Meeting of the University Technology Transfer Association of Japan, on the panel “Stregthening Global Patent Protection: Issues when prosecuting in United States, EPC, Russia, China, South Korea and Brazil”, on September 25th, 2010.
Author or co-author of the following recent publications, amongst others:
• Author of “Considerations on Mexican Trademark Law”, article published in “Chizaiken Forum” (知財研フォーラム) 2015 Summer Vol.102 Issue: August 2015.
• Author of “Patent Backlog and Expediting Patents in Brazil”, article published in “Chizaiken Forum” (知財研フォーラム) 2015 Winter Vol.100 Issue: February 2015.
• Author of “Industrial property rights in Latin America: In Search of the proper balance”, article published in “Chizaiken Forum” (知財研フォーラム) 2014 Summer Vol.98 Issue: July 2014.
• Author of “Anti-counterfeiting and Intellectual Property Protection in Brazil towards the World Cup and the Olympic Games”, article published in “IP Management Review” (IPマネジメントレビュー) No. 11: December 13, 2013.
• Author of “IP litigation in Brazil – Procedural Law Issues”, article published in “Chizaiken Forum” (知財研フォーラム) 2013 Winter 92 Issue: February 2013.
Member of national and international associations such as:
• MA in Law, Intellectual Property Law, Waseda University Graduate School of Law (2014).
• Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (2009).
• Academic Exchange at Waseda University School of International Liberal Studies (2007).