Attorney at Law
Thiago Zimmermann is an experienced attorney with more than ten years’ practice in different areas of Law and joined Licks Attorneys in 2018. Prior to joining Licks, Thiago was an associate at a prominent Brazilian law firm, where he led a team focused on strategic litigation, especially in contracts, copyrights, class actions, civil liability, administrative law and regulatory issues – mainly in the areas of technology, telecommunications and health insurance. As a consultant, Thiago gained experience on privacy issues, contract matters and on the housing industry.
At Licks Attorneys, as a litigator, he works in complex lawsuits involving contracts and regulatory issues for internet-based companies. In intellectual property matters, he represents clients in litigations concerning patent infringement and validity in cases related to telecommunications, the mechanical and pharmaceutical industries. As a consultant, he deals with privacy and cybersecurity issues, technology transfer, IP rights and licensing matters for domestic and foreign companies.
• Led the team that secured the operations and services provided by a telecommunications company at the Brazilian State of “Espírito Santo”. The company faced a class action filed by the Public Prosecutor, due to alleged noncompliance with regulatory issues. Obtained a decision at the Federal Supreme Court that suspended the ban on marketing chips and new service plans.
• Represented an Brazilian company on the leading case that discussed the demand for copyright payment at ECAD (Brazilian Central Office for Collection and Distribution of Copyright Patrimonial Rights) as well as in the case of playing music through streaming and simulcast services. This case is awaiting trial in the Federal Supreme Court.
• Worked with the team that represented a major telecommunications company in the biggest Brazilian judicial reorganization procedure. Obtained an injunction that includes a billionaire credit of ANATEL (Brazilian Regulatory Agency) in the procedure and a merits decision that kept the credit on the approved reorganization plan.
• Represented an Brazilian and a Mexican telecommunications company in several class actions, filed by the Public Prosecutor and civil associations that had as a primary objective stop the implementation of a sectorial measure that was aligned with ANATEL (Brazilian Regulatory Agency): blocking users’ mobile access that would have reached their contract agreement. Obtained an injunction at the second instance court that has avoided the prohibition of the mobile access suppression in the country.
• Member of the Examinatory Bar of the Unified Exam of OAB, Getúlio Vargas Foundation (FGV-RJ), during the exams 2010.2, 2010.3, 2011.3 and 2012.1.
• Professor of Civil Procedural Law at “Veredicto” – preparatory course for law students for public service, 2010.
• Assistant researcher in the Doctor’ Thesis of Prof. Marcelo Junqueira Calixto, that resulted in the publishing of the book “A Culpa na Responsabilidade Civil – Estrutura e Função” (“The Blame in Civil Liabilities – Structure and Function”), Rio de Janeiro: Renovar, 2008, mentioned in the “Acknowledgements”.
• Monitor of Civil Law IV (“Contracts”), on Pontifical Catholic University – Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ), 2005/2006.
• Post Graduate Program (Specialization) in Civil Procedural Law, Pontifical Catholic University – Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ), 2010.
• LL.B, Bachelor of Law, Pontifical Catholic University – Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ), 2007.